Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Pincushion

Mark another new thing off of my to-do list - a yo-yo! I wonder who thought of such a funny name for a piece of fabric shaped in a circle, loosely stitched, and then pulled tight? They really are quite easy that I should think of something to put a lot of yo-yo's on. Love the button in the middle - it pulls it all together. I used scrap squares from my pillow that I made. I don't know why I've never attempted to make pincushions before? They look so much better than the magnet ones.



Spring has officially arrived but it looks like our weather isn't going to cooperate by the end of the week. I'm glad I finished up quite a few projects that I'll post in the near future.
Have a great week!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Another Pillow

Well I attempted another pillow with the same squares as the first one. This time I alternated with squares and rectangles. I even have the pieces going on an angle.
I really love how this pillow turned out. I basically used the same pattern as my previous pillow but made this one a tad smaller so the pillow form fit better. I have the envelope style on the back so it is easier to wash and change to new pillows. I really need to get out of my comfort zone and insert a zipper but why spend money on a zipper - right? The purpose is to save money with the scraps that I have not spend money.

 Have a great week!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Purple Bag

The story behind this bag is this. We went to the North American Auto Show this year and I grabbed some free bags from a foreign auto company. (On my behalf I tried to get some American bags but they didn't have any left.) We won't name the company on this bag because my husband wasn't to happy that I would be parading this bag in public. As a matter of fact when he did go to the store with me those bags did not leave the back of my van. In my blog hopping and saving of patterns I found this bag by Denyse Schmidt. Hope means alot to us in the "Motor City". Hope for a recovery for the auto industry and Hope for our Michigan and it's record job loss. The bag design is my own using handy dandy newspapers as my pattern pieces. The only thing I took from the other bag is the letters. Of course I had some Sew.Rip.Repeat. moments on this bag. The most obvious is the top. When it came time to put the handles on the bag I had no room. They went right into the letters which isn't a good thing. I had to add another piece of fabric to the top so my lettering wouldn't be covered.
Since I was putting something on the front I decided I needed a pocket on the other side. I took scraps from the fabric on the front and ruffled some strips to put on the pocket.

All in all I'm very pleased with my new bag. I have some light blue duck cloth to make another one. This time I'll make the bag taller so I don't have the same problem as this one. Since I have an embroidery machine it's high time I put an embroidery on the front. The biggest praise you can get from something you made is when your 15 year old daughter wants something that you made! Will she get it - I don't know yet - we'll see.


Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shamrock Towels

I was scheduled to work today but we received an unexpected day off of school because of road conditions and ice. Since I knew I was supposed to work, I had all my errands and cleaning already done. So what does one do when she has an unexpected day off? She sews! I still had the Valentine Towels hanging in my little half bath and those just needed to be put away. We needed a pickup around here from all the snow we've had and the long, cold winter. We are all ready for spring to peek its head out and let the sun shine on all of this dreariness. To start I had plain, white Martex towels, and scraps of green fabric that I've also had stashed away in drawers. To start I cut out my heart pattern shamrock pattern and ironed it on my towel.
I had purchased 2 different size binding tools that I really wanted to try so I cut my fabric and put it through the tool. Way to cool! Just push the fabric through and iron in place. Not much thinking involved. I ended up making 2 large strips. I sewed them to the towel and added a strip of ruffle. One strip is with the smaller binding tool and the other strip is just a piece of fabric with the edges frayed. I'm not quite sure I like the frayed one, thats alot of threads that will probably need to be cut to make it neat looking.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with this easy project. My seam ripper is used to being used at least once for a project and this time I didn't even need to grab it. Yahoo for me! The Shamrock Towels are now in our little half bath getting ready for St. Patricks Day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...