Costumes for Spamalot



 
Whew! What a whirlwind these past few weeks have been. It started when I went to a Drama Boosters meeting for Monte Python's Spamalot for my son's drama class and the teacher asked one little question: "Can anyone sew?" I slowly and hesitantly raised my hand. All along I've told my son to never volunteer me to sew any costumes and here I was raising my hand. What was I thinking? The teacher was giddy with excitement that she found another volunteer to help sew 11 costumes. That night she gave me a cheaply made costume from the Renaissance period that was a skirt, peasant top and vest that she liked but wanted burgundy for the skirt. Knowing that I have never heard of the play, she also instructed me to look on youtube for inspiration.

 
All 11 girls were different sizes so I bought Simplicity 5582  pattern and used the largest size I could. I decided that elastic was going to be my favorite way to fit all the girls with a one size pattern.
 
 
I made ties to match the skirts to give a little pop of color to the vests. I didn't really want to spend money on grommets for 11 vests but in the end I decided that it would look the best.

 
Friday was a sewing party at my house with time running against me. My mom hemmed all the skirts from the measurements that I had taken the previous week. I sewed vests all day, instead of lining the vests I made my own bias tape for the sleeves, hem and top. That night while the kids were at the last home football game we continued to hem and sew while I recruited my husband on grommets and my girlfriend finishing up all the ironing.
 
We lucked out! Out of 11 costumes only 2 vests needed some adjustments. The skirts were a perfect length for all the girls and the shirts were perfect. This was a huge accomplishment for me to be able to sew 11 (33 pieces in all) costumes in 2 weeks. What a rewarding experience! Now time to go get caught up on everything that is on my own back burner.
 
 
 
Have a Great Day!

Comments

  1. Wow! That is an impressive rack of costumes, they will certainly all look the part anyway :) Love how you managed to rope your husband in too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The stockings were hung ...

Birthday Table Runner

Homecoming