My First Quilt/Pillow

I can't believe it! I spent more time staring at those little squares than I did sewing and cutting. I never would have realized how much time can be spent arranging and rearranging those squares. I even changed my mind on the pattern I was going to use.
Did I learn anything? You bet I did. For one thing if I'm going to have 2 white items together just make it one large item. I don't like how you can see the seam allowance in the white squares. Another tip I learned  is to write down a plan. I did this without a specific plan in mind. I had this jelly roll that I bought at Joann's just sitting around. I also took 1 large pillow that we didn't think was cushy enough for our heads and split it into 2 pillows. I sort of knew what size I wanted to go with but again not planning didn't make the sewing much easier.
Another great tip I learned is to walk away when you have your strips laid out. I looked at these strips until I was blue in the face and I still ended up with 2 patterns right next to each other. When did I notice this - not until 2 hours later - ugh!
This picture has nothing to do with a learning curve except this is the fabric I used for the back.
Now since I had no plan and I was practicing per say - I just did plain borders around the pillow. I wanted to try my hand at mitering the corners but since I was using scrap fabrics I didn't have enough nor did I cut enough to miter the corners. Next time for sure when I have my plan. I have the other half of the pillow and more of these little squares so we'll just try again. They say practice makes perfect and I'm pretty happy with my end result. Now I just need to find these colors in my house! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The stockings were hung ...

Birthday Table Runner

Homecoming